EXPEDITED CHINA PROGRAM
As of June 18, 2012, The Children’s Bridge will no longer be accepting applications for the expedited China program due to the long timelines. This does not affect families currently working on their dossier.
- This program has been in operation since 1991 and we have successfully completed over 2500 adoptions from this country.
- Families may qualify for an expedited referral if a) one of the adoptive parents was born in China, Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan or b) if both parents of one of the adoptive parents were born in China, Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan (government issued documentation is required as proof).
- Open to all provinces except Quebec.
- Children are waiting for families mainly due to China’s one-child policy.
- The majority of adoptions have been infant girls between 7 and 16 months of age at referral.
- Most of the children reside in orphanages.
- Minimal health information and no familial history are provided with referral.
- Adoption is finalized in China.
- The China Center for Children’s Welfare and Adoption (CCCWA) requires completion of post placement reports at 1, 6 and 12 months home as well as at the 2, 3 and 5 year mark.
- Applicants must have reached the age of 30 and be under 50 years of age (Waiting Children Program, 30 – 55 years of age) at time of log-in-date in China.
- No same sex couples or single applicants permitted to apply.
- Couples must be married for 2 years and have no more than 2 previous marriages. If previously married, current marriage must be minimum 5 years in length.
- You must be free from criminal record and in good physical and emotional health.
- Applicants must be free from the following conditions: AIDS, cancer, intellectual disability, infectious disease, blindness, deafness, physical disability, lupus, epilepsy, schizophrenia, less than two years after stopping medication for mental illness such as depression, 10 years post surgery of organ transplantation, 10 years free of drinking if history of alcohol abuse.
- Cannot be noticeably overweight (Body Mass Index (BMI) cannot exceed 40. Go to www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi to calculate your BMI).
- Both applicants must have a high school education (or equivalent vocational education) or higher.
- The family’s net worth cannot be lower than $80,000 USD (for conversion to CAD go to www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi)
- Families must have fewer than 5 children in the home with the youngest at least one year of age.
- At least one of a couple MUST be a Canadian citizen.
- Completion of a home study and approval in province.
- File translated (by Bridge of Love Adoption Service) and authenticated and notarized by The Children’s Bridge, sent to China and processed through central adoption service in Beijing (CCCWA).
- Family must travel to China to complete the adoption and must stay for 13 – 17 days in which a translator/guide accompanies the family and is available 24 hours a day.
- Completion of home study varies but average is 3 – 6 months.
- Approval in province varies from 4 – 20 weeks.
- Referral timelines are unpredictable. Current timelines are 54 months for referral from the date your file is logged in in China. We expect this timeline to increase. Contact the office for a current timeline.
- Travel is approximately 10-12 weeks after receipt of referral.