Children's Bridge Events
Post Adoption Services
Adoption Practitioner Directory
||Download The Children's Bridge 2017 Information Package (PDF file)
||Programs at Glance (PDF file)
||HIV+ Kids Adoption Program
The Children’s Bridge HIV+ Kids adoption program supports Canadian families who are considering, in the process of, or who have already adopted children living with HIV.
||U.S.A. / Florida Adoption Program
Please note: The USA program currently has open spaces.
As ASC can only accept a small number of applications from Canadian families, only applications from childless couples and those experiencing infertility and secondary infertility due to medical reasons will now be accepted. Applications will also be considered from families that have adopted from ASC in the past or that have one other adopted child in the home.
||U.S.A. / Florida Adoption Program
Advocates for Children and Families
Please note: The Children’s Bridge is now working with a second adoption agency, Advocates for Children and Families, based in Florida, USA. We are now accepting files for this adoption program. This program will be open to same-sex couples, as well as single women. Due to the limited options available for same-sex families and single applicants, priority will be given to these applicants.
This program is only open to residents of Ontario. We have open spaces in our South Korea Program, please contact Maria Fulford for more information.
There are currently spaces open in the mainstream and waiting children programs. Please contact Darlene Catton for more information.
This program is open to singles and/or couples (non-Indian applicants as well as those of Indian descent). Families can choose between applying to the mainstream program, or the program for waiting children with special needs. Flexibility is a must for any applicant applying to this adoption program.
||Republic of Zambia|
||China - Waiting Children Program
Executive Director: Cathy Murphy
Tel: 613-226-2112 Ext. 6,
This program has been in operation since 2005 when The Children’s Bridge received a licence from the CCAA (now known as the CCCWA) to operate a Waiting Children Program. The Children’s Bridge has successfully place over 400 children with their forever families.
- This is an older child adoption program (children over 7 years of age) mostly boys waiting for families with special medical needs.
- The most common special medical needs include but are not limited to: cleft lip and cleft palate (95% of the children placed to date), congenital heart disease, visual impairment, hearing impairment, missing limbs, club foot, syndactyly, polydactyly and missing/extra digits.
- Families also qualify for this program if they are adopting a healthy child over 14 years of age.
- Limited familial medical history is available; however, a detailed medical is included with each referral.
- A limited history since coming to the orphanage is provided.
- Adoption finalized in China.
- Your file will be expedited in the Waiting Children Program.
- Your child will arrive home approximately 6 months after you receive your child’s referral.
- More boys are currently waiting for families with special medical needs. The Children’s Bridge asks Prospective Adoptive Parents to be open to parenting either gender.
- You must be between 30 and 55 years of age.
- No same sex couples open to single female applicants (some restrictions apply please contact the Adoption Program Manager)
- Must be married (no common law or same sex couples).
- Couples must be married for 2 years and have no more than 2 previous marriages. If previously married, current marriage must be minimum 5 years in length.
- You must be free from criminal record and in good physical and emotional health.
- Applicants must be free from the following conditions: AIDS, cancer, intellectual disability, infectious disease, blindness, deafness, physical disability, lupus, epilepsy, schizophrenia, less than two years after stopping medication for mental illness such as depression, 10 years post surgery of organ transplantation, 10 years free of drinking if history of alcohol abuse.
- Cannot be noticeably overweight (BMI (Body Mass Index) cannot exceed 40) You can go to http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm to calculate your BMI)
- Both applicants must have a high school education (or equivalent vocational education) or higher.
- The family’s net worth cannot be lower than $80,000 USD (for conversion to CAD go to www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi)
If adopting as a single female applicant your net worth cannot be lower than $100,000 USD
- At least one of a couple MUST be a Canadian citizen.
- The family must live in a large urban centre with access to appropriate resources to meet each child’s individual needs. Each family must complete a screening process with The Children's Bridge prior to proceeding.
- Screening process completed by The Children's Bridge.
- Family must be open to speaking with other families who have completed older child adoptions and accessing appropriate therapy resource supports in the community in which they live.
- Completion of a home study and approval in province including completion of a child profile detailing the type of special medical needs your family can support.
- Waiting Children Program children’s files are posted to The China Center for Children’s Welfare and Adoption (CCCWA) on-line system each month.
- Once approved by the CCCWA, your adoption dossier is expedited in China.
- Six-month supervision is required by the Adoption Practitioner.
- CCCWA requires completion of post placement reports at 6, 12 months home as well as at the 2, 3 and 5 and 6 year mark.
- Family completes screening process with The Children's Bridge (approximately 2 weeks)
- Family then begins the home study process which varies but average is 3 – 6 months to complete. Family must also complete PRIDE training and AdopTALK.
- Family submits their home study (Ontario) and dossier to The Children's Bridge.
- The provincial ministries take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to give approval for the Waiting Children Program. The family must be approved for the Waiting Children Program and must identify the particular needs their family can support. For example, “a boy between 8 to 10 years of age with cleft lip and cleft palate or mild hearing impairment.”.
- Once “Letter of Approval” is received from the provincial government, The Children's Bridge will courier the complete translated, authenticated dossier to the CCCWA for review and log in
- Families will then be advised to begin the immigration process.
- Once the file has been logged in at the CCCWA, a child proposal can be presented to the family.
- The family will have 72 hours to accept or decline the proposal. If accepted, the family will meet with their Adoption Practitioner who will recommend the match to the provincial ministry
- Once the CCCWA accepts the match, they will issue the relevant documentation (Letter Seeking Confirmation from Adopter) for signature within 3 – 4 months.
- Families will travel approximately 8 - 10 weeks after sending the Letter Seeking Confirmation from Adopter to the CCAA.
- During these 8 – 10 weeks, the “Notice of Traveling to China for Adoption” will be sent to the agency/province from the CCCWA.
- The adoption journey will last approximately 2 weeks.
- The entire process takes approximately 10 – 12 months to complete.
- Timelines do fluctuate. These are estimates only.