Children's Bridge Events
Post Adoption Services
Adoption Practitioner Directory
||Program Manager: Darlene Catton,
Tel: (905) 836-6776,
|| General Information:
- Adoption is finalized in Thailand in conjuncture with the Royal Thai Embassy in Canada.
- Open to all provinces except Quebec.
- Trip is approximately 2 - 3 weeks in length.
- Post placement reports due 2, 4 and 6 months once home.
- Children waiting for families due to socio-economic conditions.
- Children reside in orphanages.
- Both boys and girls are in need of families (mostly boys). Families may request gender but must be prepared for a longer wait for a girl. May also request twins or sibling groups but this is rare.
- Children will be approximately 12 - 24 months of age at referral.
- Minimum age 25 years and up to a maximum age of 40 years of age.
- Couples over 40 but under 48 who are open to children over the age of 4 may be considered for this program.
- Families who have fertility issues should provide proof of same with a letter from their doctor.
- No same sex or common law couples eligible.
- Single applicants can adopt special needs children.
- Must be married for a minimum of 2 years and have no more than 2 previous marriages.
- Must have a minimum of high school education.
- Must be in excellent physical and emotional health – no exceptions.
- Must not be taking any prescribed medication for anxiety or depression.
- Must be 5 years cancer free.
- Cannot be notably overweight (no more than 30% of Body Mass Index (BMI)). Go to http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm to calculate your BMI.
- Sound financial position.
- One of a couple must be a Canadian citizen and have no criminal record.
- No morticians may apply.
- Open to residents of all provinces except Quebec.
- Completion of home study and approval in province.
- File sent for authentication to Foreign Affairs and the Royal Thai Embassy.
- File then sent to Thailand (Department of Children & Youth (DCY) or Thai Red Cross Children’s Home (TRCCH)).
- Families receive their referral approximately 2 ˝ years after their file is logged in at the DCY/TRCCH.
- Both parents must travel to Thailand to complete the adoption process (including an official interview).
- Stay in Thailand is approximately 2 – 3 weeks in duration.
- Completion of three post placement reports is mandatory for finalization to be completed.
- Thailand informs Royal Thai Embassy in Canada on completion of finalization.
- Both parents along with their child must travel to the Royal Thai Embassy in Ottawa to complete the process.
- Wait for referral is approximately 2 ˝ years.