||Program Manager: Karyn Bakelaar|
Tel: 613-226-2112 Ext. 231,
||Please note: |
The USA program currently has open spaces.
|| General Information:
- The Children’s Bridge is working in partnership with Adoption by Shepherd Care (ASC), which is based in Hollywood, Florida.
- Adoptive family is chosen by an expectant mother/father who wish to make an adoption plan for their child.
- Children are mainly of African-American descent. To a lesser extent, children who are ethnically biracial, Hispanic, and/or Caucasian are sometimes placed for adoption.
- Infants are placed with adoptive family approximately 10 – 14 days following the birth.
- Adoption is finalized in Florida approximately 6 months after placement. Family does not need to travel to Florida for finalization, but must present for the finalization hearing by phone.
- Children can maintain dual citizenship.
- Time from dossier submission to receiving a proposed match is approximately 9 – 18 months.
- Applicants must be open to semi-open adoptions, as they will need to exchange pictures and letters with the birth family through the agency until the child reaches 18. Some situations may allow for more openness.
- Applicants will complete a checklist outlining various situations they are open to (i.e. some alcohol use by the birth mother, history of mental illness, unknown birth father, etc.).
- In many situations, the adoptive family will have the opportunity to meet the birth mother/father during their trip to Florida.
- Children with various special needs are also available (i.e. Hep C, HIV, prenatal exposure to possible substance abuse, etc.).
- 3 post-placement reports are required during the first 90 days home in order to finalize the adoption.
- Children will reside in an interim home care until placement occurs with the adoptive family.
- Applicants must be over the age of 25 and no older than 52 years old when their dossier is sent to Florida.
- This program is open to married couples only. Married couples must have been married for a minimum of 1 year by the time their dossier is received in Florida. No same sex couples or singles are permitted to apply.
- Applicants must be in sound physical and emotional health. Adoptive applicants must be free of major mental illness such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia and obsessive compulsive disorder.
- Applicants must be open to signing an “Exchange Agreement” with the potential birth family. Almost all of the adoptions will be considered “semi-open”, in that letters and pictures will be exchanged through the agency and available to birth family until the child has reached the age of eighteen (18).
- Some situations may allow for more openness such as prenatal doctor visits, face-to-face visits between the child, adoptive family, and birth family, depending on the specific situation and birth mother’s desires/needs.
- Adoptive families will have the opportunity to meet the birth mother/family after the birth of the baby in most situations.
- Family must possess a stable financial portfolio.
- At least one member of the couple MUST be a Canadian citizen.
- Both adoptive applicants must be free from criminal records.
- This program is open to residents of Ontario only at this time.
- Complete consultation with Program Manager.
- Submit ASC’s preliminary application form.
- Completion of home study, PRIDE training and approval in province.
- Once approval is received and dossier has been compiled, all is notarized and submitted to ASC in Florida.
- Match received and reviewed.
- Completion of home study (average time 3 – 6 months).
- Approval in province varies from 4 – 16 weeks.
- Processing of adoption dossier averages 4 – 6 weeks.
- Wait for proposal approximately 9 – 18 months.
- Travel to Florida approximately 10 – 14 days after birth.
- One trip of 7 – 14 days is required.